Here's some soup I made last week.
- 1.5 – 2 lb Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 a white onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp beer
- 1 can artichoke hearts, sliced
- a bunch of basil, chopped up
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 3 Cups of water and a vege bouillon cube or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat up the olive oil and butter, and when it gets foamy add the onion. Saute until the onions are soft but not browned. Add the beer. Add the water+bouillon or stock , tomatoes, artichokes and bring to a boil. Lower to low heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in some of the basil, saving a couple of leaves for garnish. Run half of the soup through a food processor if you want it to be a little smoother. Then add in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Serves several humans.